Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Stonecutter


Once, a poor stonecutter worked everyday, chipping away at huge stones on the mountainside, but he was dissatisfied. He saw a rich man passing by, and thought, “I wish I was that rich man.” A magical spirit was listening, and granted his wish. He became the rich man!

As the rich man, the stonecutter felt infinitely powerful. He gave his servants order after order. But one day the sun shone hotly on the rich man. “The sun is more powerful than I. I wish I were the sun!” The magical spirit granted his wish.

Now he was the sun. He shown down on the earth, scorching it mercilessly. But one day a cloud passed in front of him. “The cloud is more powerful than I. I wish to be that cloud!’ Again, the magical spirit granted his wish.

As the cloud, he blocked the sun day after day, causing darkness and cold weather. But one day a wind came up, and blew the cloud away. “I want to be the wind!” Again, the magical spirit granted his wish.

As the wind, he blew dust storms and hurricanes. Nothing could stand in his way. But one day he came to a mountain and couldn’t move it. “The mountain resists me. Let me be the mountain.” Once more, the magical spirit granted his wish.

As the mountain, he was immovable. Nothing could budge him. But one day he felt something chipping away at him. It was a poor stonecutter. “The stonecutter is mightiest of all! I wish I were a stonecutter.” One last time, the magical spirit granted his wish.

~*~




No comments:

Post a Comment